trans

Destinations

See below our destinations...

  • AFAIA2

    An island with a long history, Aegina was first inhabited in 5000 BC by tribes of the Peloponnesus. It became a great naval power, and also developed in the areas of commerce, industrial metals, pottery and perfumes. From the 7th c. BC, its progress rivalled that of Athens. The islanders founded many colonies, and circulated the first currency in Greece.

    In 455 BC the island’s decline began with its defeat by the Athenians, and then was ruled in turn by the Spartans, Macedonians, Romans and Turks. In 1828 after the Greek revolution for independence, Prime Minister Kapodistrias made Aegina the provisional capital of the Greek State.

    The ancients called the island Oino, while the current name comes from the nymph Aegina. She was the mother of Aiacus, first king of the island, the child of her love with Zeus.

    PLACES

    1. The neoclassical buildings, and walks through the streets of the city

    2. The government building of Kapodistrias

    3. The white chapel of St. Nicholas in the port

    4. The museum with many artifacts from the classical era

    5. The ruins of the military port

    6. The 6th c. BC temple of Apollo, on the edge of town

    7. The monastery of St. Nektarios, and its impressive church

    8. The 5th C. BC temple of Aphaia, preserved in good condition

    Many sandy beaches are found near the town. Around the island are the well-known traditional villages of Perdika, Souvala, Agia Marina.

  • agistri-paralia

    Tradition says that whoever sees Agkistri is caught by the “hook” (agkistri) of its beauty, and always returns. When you visit the island you understand why. The green pine trees and colorful flowers blend harmoniously with the blue sea. Agkistri offers clean seas, with all kinds of beaches and activities. It is famous as a paradise for spear fishing.

  • The first person to consider the possibility of cutting the isthmus that connects the Peloponnesus with mainland Greece was Periander, tyrant of Corinth, in the 7th c. BC, although it was of course impossible with the technology of that time.

    During the Roman era, Julius Caesar in 44 BC and Caligula in 37 AD made plans to cut through the isthmus, but work was abandoned for various reasons. The emperor Nero used their plans as a base, and began work in 67 AD, from both the Saronic and Corinthian ends. He used thousands of workers, but he himself started the work with a golden spade. The work proceeded 3300 meters, then stopped when Nero was forced to return to Rome to face the revolt of General Galva. After Nero’s death, the project was abandoned.

    In 1869 the Greek government decided to cut the isthmus, and in 1870 signed a contract with a French company. However, the actual work only commenced in 1882. Engineers decided that Nero’s original plan was the most economic and efficient, and based their modern design on that. The project was completed in 1893.

    The Corinth Canal is 6300 meters long, 24 meters wide, 8 meters deep, and at some points reaches a height of 80 meters. You can pass through the canal in about 30 minutes with our ships, and admire the geological formations from millions of years of geological history.

  • hydra054
    Hydra is 36 nautical miles from Tolo and retains its own distinctive style and tranquility. It is the only place that forbids not only cars but also motorcycles. The sea breeze and the azure waters combine harmoniously with the tranquility of the beautiful landscape, making Hydra perfect place for visitors. With its unique character and architecture, the narrow stone paths and old mansions create a charm that attracts visitors, especially artists

    .


    HISTORY

    In the 15th century Hydra was settled by refugees who came to the island to escape Turkish persecution. The barren soil of the island forced the residents to turn to the sea for a living, and they became excellent sailors. In the revolution of 1821, Hydra contributed 130 warships: two-thirds of the Greek fleet. The old well-preserved mansions on the island are an impressive testimony to the gloryand wealth of the island in the years before the revolution.


    PLACES
    1.The Historical Museum of Hydra which displays relics of the revolution, the heart of Andreas Miaoulis and his cross which he always carried into battle.
    2. The mansion Tompazi, now an art school.
    3. The mansion Sachtouri, now home to the Merchant Marine Officers School, the first established in Greece.
    4. Other mansions such as those of the families Kountourioti, Vountouri, and Voulgaris.
    5. The two cannon fortifications at the entrance of the harbor that protected the island from past invasions of Turks and pirates.
    6.The structure and architecture of the city with its narrow stone paths.


    CHURCHES
    1. The Metropolis of Hydra in the port, dedicated to the Assumption; an imposing building surrounded by a thin wall from which emerges the famous clock tower.
    2.The churches of St. John and of the Presentation, with beautiful domes supported by marble arches.
    3. The church of Saint Constantine of Hydra, protector of the island that was built on the ruins of the residence of the saint, with elaborate wooden carvings and gold friezes.


    BEACHES.

    Palamedi, Molos, and Kaminia are among the few beaches. Hydra is famous for its rugged coastline. Situated 300 meters from the city is a protected area, where most of the residents swim
  • monemvasia

    The Lakones 2000 years ago colonized a rock 350 meters high located on the southeastern tip of the Peloponnese.Within a few centuries a city developed that was known as Monemvasia, or Gibraltar of the East.
    The name MONEMVASIA means “only one access”. The city is divided into two parts. The upper town is now only ruins. The lower town is a walled fortress, with a style of living that has been maintained the same as existed 200 years ago.
    The city was built in the 6 th century. when local residents fled to escape Arab raids. They first built the upper town, and in the 10th century barricaded the lower city.
    In 1248 William Villehardouin occupied Monemvasia after a siege of two years. In 1251 the Bishop of Nice John Palaeologus defeated Villehardouin at the battle of Pelagonia. To avoid captivity Villehardouin surrendered the castles of Monemvasia, Mani and Mystras to the Byzantines. The city remained under Byzantine rule until 1419, and enjoyed a flourishing of arts, letters, shipping and trade.

    PLACES
    1. The house of the poet Yannis Ritsos near the main gate
    2. The Church of Jesus Elkomenos and the museum in the Central Square
    3. The small streets that lead you to the walls and old houses
    4. The church of Hagia Sophia at the top castle from where the view is amazing.
  • Poros is one of the most beautiful islands in the Saronic Gulf and attracts many visitors every summer. A combination of beautiful beaches, elegant houses and pine-covered hills, is a brief description of the island.
    The island is located on the east side of Argolis and separated from it by a narrow channel widened to the west, forming the bay of Neorion. A smaller channel separates the island into two pieces.The bigger piece is called Kalavria and is a limestone hill rising 400 meters. The smaller piece, called Sferia, s a volcanic island volcanic on which is located the city of Poros, facing Galata, a village 300 meters across the channel, on the Argolid mainland.The town’s white houses with colorful gardens and pergolas blend perfectly with the tall blue belltower that dominates the highest point of the city. From there you can enjoy a wonderful view of the town, the port, and the mountains of Troezen on the mainland.

    If you walk to the harbour, you gaze at Galata, the narrow channel and anchorage where in 1831 Admiral Miaoulis stationed the frigate Hellas, which Kapodistrias had wanted to lead the Russian fleet, in order to punish his Hydriot rivals. The city is dotted with cafes and restaurants that offer seafood and other local dishes. If you follow the coastal road you will find the old gunpowder storeromms, now converted to a navy school. Just across the channel to the west stretches the Rusiian bay, a permanent naval station of the Russian fleet in the last century. By taxi you can visit the 6th century BC temple of Poseidon, or the Monastery of the Life-Giving Spring.
  • spetses

    SPETSES IS AN ISLAND WITH A MAGICAL COMBINATION OF CRYSTAL CLEAR SEA, LOVELY SANDY BEACHES, AND AROMATIC GREEN PINE FORESTS. BETWEEN ITS SETTLEMENT IN THE 15th CENTURY AND THE 1821 REVOLUTION, SPETSES FLOURISHED, THE SEA TRADERS AND CAPTAINS MAKING GREAT FORTUNES.

    SPETSES WAS THE FIRST OF THE SARONIC ISLANDS TO RISE UP AGAINST THE TURKS. AT THE MONASTERY OF ST. NICHOLAS, ON 3 APRIL 1821, THE LOCALS TOOK THE OATH “FREEDOM OR DEATH”, AND JOINED THE REVOLUTION. THIS OATH IS STILL INSCRIBED ON THE FLAG OF SPETSES. THE ISLAND’S POWERFUL FLEET OF SHIPS WAS LED BY LASKARINA BOUBOULINA, THE NATIONAL HEROINE OF THE WAR, WHO PERSONALLY TOOK COMMAND AFTER HER HUSBAND’S DEATH. ON 8 SEPTEMBER 1822 THE COMBINED FLEET OF HYDRA AND SPETSES UNDER HER COMMAND DEFEATED THE TURKISH FLEET IN A FIERCE NAVAL BATTLE. EVERY YEAR, SPETSES HONORS THAT VICTORY WITH FIREWORKS, DANCING, AND A SPECTACULAR DRAMATIZATION OF THE BATTLE.

    BEHIND SPETSES IS THE SMALL PRIVATE ISLAND OF SPETSAPOULA, BELONGING TO THE GREEK SHIPPING FAMILY OF NIARCHOS.

    SPETSES IS FAMOUS FOR ITS FOOD AND SWEETS – THE BAKED FISH “A LA SPETSIOTA”, AND THE ALMOND SWEET “AMYGDALOTA”. WITH ITS CHARACTER AND COLOUR, ITS COSMOPOLITAN AND HISTORIC ATMOSPHERE, SPETSES IS AN ISLAND FULL OF PLEASURE FOR THE VISITOR.

    ATTRACTIONS

    --THE MUSEUM LOCATED IN THE MANSION OF HATZIGIANNI MEXI, ONE OF THE REVOLUTION’S LEADERS.

    --THE MANSION OF BOUBOULINA, WHICH HOUSES A PRIVATE MUSEUM, WITH HER PERSONAL EFFECTS AND ARTIFACTS FROM THE REVOLUTION.

    --THE MONASTERY OF ST NICHOLAS, WHERE THE LOCALS TOOK THE OATH “FREEDOM OR DEATH”

    --THE BOATYARD WHICH STILL BUILDS TRADITIONAL WOODEN “CAIQUE”-STYLE BOATS, IN THE PICTURESQUE OLD HARBOUR

    --THE OLD POST-BYZANTINE CHURCHES AND CHAPELS IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD

    --THE DECORATED HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES, WHICH CAN TAKE THE VISITOR TO EVERY PART OF THE ISLAND.

    --THE PEBBLE MOSAIC DESIGNS DECORATING THE STREETS AND SQUARES AROUND “DAPIA”, THE MODERN HARBOUR.

    BEACHES

    -- Beaches with golden sand or colored pebbles, many natural bays inside and outside the city offer wonderful cool water.Small boats leave the harbor (Dapia) and transport visitors to the beaches XYLOKERIZA, SAINTS ANARGYRI, ZOGERIA. For those who want to swim near the town there are bays for a refreshing break.