An island with a long history, Aegina was first inhabited in 5000 BC by tribes of the Peloponnesus. It became a great naval power, and also developed in the areas of commerce, industrial metals, pottery and perfumes. From the 7th c. BC, its progress rivalled that of Athens. The islanders founded many colonies, and circulated the first currency in Greece.
In 455 BC the island’s decline began with its defeat by the Athenians, and then was ruled in turn by the Spartans, Macedonians, Romans and Turks. In 1828 after the Greek revolution for independence, Prime Minister Kapodistrias made Aegina the provisional capital of the Greek State.
The ancients called the island Oino, while the current name comes from the nymph Aegina. She was the mother of Aiacus, first king of the island, the child of her love with Zeus.
1. The neoclassical buildings, and walks through the streets of the city
2. The government building of Kapodistrias
3. The white chapel of St. Nicholas in the port
4. The museum with many artifacts from the classical era
5. The ruins of the military port
6. The 6th c. BC temple of Apollo, on the edge of town
7. The monastery of St. Nektarios, and its impressive church
8. The 5th C. BC temple of Aphaia, preserved in good condition
Many sandy beaches are found near the town. Around the island are the well-known traditional villages of Perdika, Souvala, Agia Marina.